Sunday, September 20, 2009

Opposition

In class last Friday, I heard the first real negative comments about our using the mini's. It actually hurt...really. I spend hours getting ready for class; then I often am not as ready as I want to be.

So, yes, I took those comments very personally.

Then, I took a moment to breath. In. Out. (Did not count to a hundred...just started in on my spiel.) First, these comments came from two students (not all). Two students who are behind. Really. Imagine that!

I ended the above session with a reminder (repeated several times) that our text book is our class blog and our Info Page.

Just to check if they can remember the names of our textbooks, I have created a quiz in Google Docs to check this retention of information, with hints embedded and the answers written on the White Board. Surely, they will pass!

Okay...in case you did not notice, yes, I am more than a little disappointed! Maybe I am even a little disappointed in myself. Have I not worked hard enough? I have even slowed the pace down from previous years...even more. Then I attended an End-of-Level Committee meeting...that philosphy just will not work anymore, but that is another blog post on another blog!

Okay, enough of those kind of thoughts. Have to remember all the other kids who were not in agreement with the above two.

Honestly? After our little chat, which included a visualization of what life in English would be like without the mini's, those two maybe, must maybe, might have been persuaded to see the error of their ways: stay caught up, for life in English class does not, will not stop for their lackadaisical ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment