Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Lesson Learned, Part 2

This continues a series of posts about lessons I learned as a teacher of a 1:1 classroom during the first semester...

Surprisingly, not all students like computers. Surprise! Several of my students really struggled with the use of the mini laptops this fall. I suppose I assumed that because we were using technology...hands on technology...that each student would be excited. Not so.

Some of this lack of excitement simply was the result of laziness...lazy ears, to be precise. For if they ever quit listening, they were behind. Thus, the positive here? Yes, they had to be even more attentive and, thus, were being held more accountable.

I have a few students who do not have Internet access at home, which resulted in more stress for them, for they often felt like they were behind the rest of the class. To compensate, I allowed, of course, extra time for them and opened my room before school and during lunch and wrote many notes for students to work in my room during their study halls. I REALLY appreciate the work ethic of these students! Just wish I could channel some of that energy into students who need a little more want-to!

Initially, I had a few students request that we return to "books." I soon learned that the desire to return to the "old" way was usually due to the lack of computer experience. As the semester progressed, I did not hear this request anymore. I like to think that maybe this was the result of their enhanced technological skills. I hope so.

For on January 5, the journey continues!


Also posted at Treasure Chest of Thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment